Pages

Thursday 14 April 2016

It's Been A While

...Since I lit the oven.  I have made bread in the meantime but I mostly cooked it indoors in the electric oven.  Yes, quicker, easier, less worry... but then I pulled my socks up and said get a grip girl.


Today I made two baguettes and two plain white loaves.  In the bread oven.


There is always that little moment of anxiousness about the fire but this time I was a lot more relaxed about it.


I set it going, then added a few more logs, then simply left it alone to its own devices.
Two hours and the fire burned down and the dome was white and I closed the door to put the fire out. I removed most of the embers but didn't want to lose too much heat from the oven so left a very very few at the back and sides.

Bread went in.  Door shut.  Timer set.  Meanwhile I started a lentil stew on the parrafin burner outside.  Now I don't know if anyone has one of these?



But if so I would love the proper working instructions.  It smoked dreadfully.  And if I turned it down it cooked too slowly.  Then it started spluttering and whooshing flames quite high.  So I put it out and used the little camping gas cooker instead.


You can see here how very black it has made the outside of my pot.  Not happy with that.  Anyway, it just goes to show that you don't need fancy equipment to cook alfresco.  The camping gas cooker was great for a one pot meal.  After the bread came out of the oven I put a tray of flapjacks in and also the lentil stew pot.


The bread looks a little dark but it was actually really well cooked... a lovely crispy crust and perfectly cooked inside.  The oven was definitely hot enough to do more but I didn't have anything else prepared.



All in all well Woman is well chuffed and Man is full!


No comments:

Post a Comment